Monday, May 16, 2011

Mountains/"it's everything time"


Check out the painting I just got. It's fucking huge (60 X 66) and I'm excited about it. It's called Another Storm and its by a young painter, Leigh Ruple. That's what Jackson Pollock used to say about his drunken rampages to his wife, "ah, it's just another storm." Anyway, it was one of those things where you see it and just feel something right away. I heard the crescendo to the Mountains song "choral" as I saw it and I think it it visualizes a lot of what I'm into musically right now. Which is, in its essence, Mountains. I was surprised that there were two Mountains albums I didn't know about, Air Museum and Sewn and I've been living pretty closely with those albums for the last week or so. If you don't know Mountains they are a Brooklyn-based duo, ambient music, guitars, computers, really beautiful, check it out, you can find all their stuff with the mediafire trick. Or buy an album; I realize that despite my principaled piracy I should buy an album now and then. I was all set to buy one of the two I just mentioned but they were so easy to find with the mediafire trick and I couldn't find another album I wanted so I bought that one (goes to show that I guess the damn Web Sheriff is sometimes worth the $$$). The one I couldn't get because every mediafire link was pulled down due to copyright violation was the new Gang Gang Dance joint, Eye Contact. I'm still exploring that one but the first track, which kicks off with this Rasta guy saying "it's everything time", is an absolutely amazing song, sublimely beautiful and then moves into a dance track, totally everything time. I saw them on May 4th at Music Hall of Williamsburg, but I had a crippling post-birthday hangover and I limped out halfway through their amazing set to curl up in a ball on my bed and groan. But I was super impressed. The chick singer was a sexy belly-dancer hipster babe with an electric voice and presence. Some weird Asian guy was on the stage waving around a clear flag for no reason. Someone spilled beer on me from the balcony. That's most of what I remember. Their music is totally bizarre and catchy. Like I said, I'm still exploring the album but I've decided that if aliens came to earth and wanted to make a record that sounded like Steely Dan and Sade but with a Brooklyn 2011 meets the Middle East vibe it would a little like Eye Contact. At times it's gayer than Phoenix in a bubble bath eating a salad, but it's so over the top that it somehow works. Anyway, that's where I'm at, I haven't posted in a while, I've been sleazing it up with the IMF crowd.......-------*

1 comment:

Gabino said...

Alien Steely Dan, you got me, where do I send the cash?