Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Volcano Choir "Repave"

As the resident lame-o/square, I figured it was up to me to listen to this. Well, I'm a sucker for the grandiose (I have a playlist on iTunes named that, featuring such stalwarts as MBV, Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, et al) and this record is good and grandiose.

Aside from the vocal effects, it sounds as if it was produced in England circa 1972, took a year and half to make, and cost $1 million ('72 bucks). As if they experimented plugging the amps into different outlets to see if the "correct tone" could be located. The musicianship--and I make no apologies for using that term--is amazing. I've never seen Vernon live, but I did catch an Austin City Limits he was on, you could tell the backing band was just killer. Not sure if these are the same guys, but this is good playing.

The lyrics are silly. I find this appropriate for this type of music. You can't hope to say anything so grandiose, so don't fucking try (one reason most of Mogwai's tunes work). Harkening back to my Kanye rant, this is another reason he sucks.

Anyways... hope everyone had a great summer and is going to rock the fall.

No comments: