Tuesday, July 7, 2009

So I was on my way to the NYC Junta meeting yesterday in the East Village and I just happened to be passing Academy Records and, c'mon, I can just look can't I?!?!

Ended up dropping real money on a couple of records. I'm such a dummy, I was talking to myself like "Dude, really? You are really going to buy this shit right now? After you downloaded 10 GBs of free music off of blogs, you need more? You're crazy. Ok, you're at the check out counter, really? You need help. Ok, he took your credit card. Fuck it, I'm out. Good luck."

Pretty rad records, though:



This is a composition for Synthi VCS3 Synthesizer and two turntables "composed" in 1971, performed by some people in 2006, limited edition of 500 copies. My inner dialogue was especially harsh on this one: "you need more weird abrasive electronic music? What, 10 GB is not enough? You never listen to that shit anyhow... you'll give the kids nightmares!" The other joke is, I HAVE a Synthi and record player! I could make this record myself. Look at all this crazy shit I have:



The other record was kind of a ridiculous buy, but totally justified if you know me at all. I'm kind of a sucker for certain packaging...





Massive inch wide gatefold with 4 LPs, matte cover, with "Open Strings" on the side. No other real details. I asked the guys at the store and they basically made some shit up, they had no idea. I listened to one side and it was solo guitar stuff that sounded cool and that was good enough for me. Dropped too much on it... I won't disclose the amount, but it starts with "F" and rhymes with "nifty".

Turns out "Sides 1-4 are early, mostly 1920's recordings from Egypt, Iran, Iraq and Turkey transferred from original 78's in the EMI archive... Sides 5-8 are new commissions in response" from a lot of guys I don't know, except for Six Organs of Admittance. The "Sides In Response" stuff is dooope, the whole thing is cool and i have no regrets. All solo guitar stuff. JT, did you do a Six Organs post one time? It's great. Can you hit me with some of that via yousendit?

I also got a Tones on Tail record at a Vintage Clothes Store by my house for $2.00:



Thanks for listening.

dc

p.s. this is the hot jam of the moment for me:

1 comment:

rootless said...

Hook me up with that solo guitar stuff next week. And for the record, yes, you are bananas, but your folly is my gain in this case.