Friday, October 3, 2008

Cold War Kids


Been checking out the new Cold War Kids album, Loyalty to Loyalty and I like it a lot, though it's gotten mixed reviews. I was really excited when I heard the first two tracks off their first album, Robbers and Cowards, but then there was a steep fall-off after that. I still think these guys have a great album in them and this isn't quite it, but it's definitely worth checking out. A critic described the singer's voice as a cross between Tom Waits and Axl Rose, which I thought was really intriguing and one of the reasons I checked them out in the first place. I don't really think that he sounds like that (though not sure what that would sound like really) but he's got a great voice and the band sounds like a real rock band without sounding self-consciously retro.

3 comments:

DC said...

I think CWK are like a poor man's "Spoon."

Any of youi LA guys go to the Beck vs. Spoon show 2 weeks ago?

dc

T.J. said...

I missed that show. It was at the Bowl, too. Damn.

(I also missed Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds there. The week before, I believe? Speaking of which... you guys check out the Grinderman album? I need to get that one on here. The shit rocks.)

I never really got into CWK. They seemed a little forced to me. That's likely just the snob in me and I probably should give them another try.

I do really enjoy Spoon, though. Gimme Fiction was one of my favorite albums from several years ago and remains in steady rotation. ("I Summon You"... sleeper cut.)

mandrew5000 said...

First time I saw CWK (opening for Tapes & Tapes I think in '06) the singer opened the show with a solo version of Dirt in the Ground. Pretty much won me over on the spot.