Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Freddie Hubbard-Open Sesame



Here's one that I'm listening to. I knew But Beautiful from it, but not much else from him besides the Red Clay LP.

DC hit me with it a while back. I listened to it a few times back then and then removed it. I've just dug it out and added it back in when I read about his passing.

Now here's something I'd like hear feedback on. Does it make me lame to be interested in the music of someone who'd just kicked the bucket? 

I feel a bit dirty, but this trumpet is nice.

3 comments:

rootless said...

I think there's nothing wrong with checking out an artist after he or she died, it's only natural to be curious. I've been reading David Foster Wallace after he committed suicide and everyone was writing about how brilliant he is. Check out Freddie Hubbard's "Straight Life", his best album, has young Tony Williams on drums and George Benson on the best track, "Mr. Clean". RIP Freddie H.

DC said...

Rootless beat me to it.

Yeah, "Straight Life" is the jam. "Mr. Clean" was written by holy grail of beat digging community, Weldon Irvine, who also plays percussion on the track. It has Herbie Hancock on keys and George Benson fucking tears it up, like he used to before "On Broadway" cheese era.

Gabino said...

all that CTI shit is awesome, he made some beautiful music........