Sunday, December 7, 2008

Melvins: A Senile Animal

Have you ever thought that the Melvins needed more drums? Me neither, but like a bacon double cheese burger, sometimes you gotta say sure what the hell! For this release in 2006 and the new one in 2008 they merged with Big Business a metal duo from L.A. New drummer Coady Willis can rock. The last 3 tracks have that familiar slow, drone, sludge rock that they are famous for. There are more drum fills than you can imagine, but the two drummer things works better than you'd think. 6 of the 10 tracks are under three minutes so there's no time to get bored. The last 90 seconds of the video is a drum freakout.

3 comments:

ator said...

FYI: the singer of Big Business (and current bassist of Melvins) was also the frontman of Karp... those guys are transplants from Olympia, WA

On another note, I saw Dale Crover (Melvins drummer) at my local grocery store recently. Twas a very "LA" moment.

The new album definitely rocks. Nice clip!

DC said...

The 2 drummer thing here is pretty tight... tighter than Allman Brothers, etc.

I need more shit like this in my life... sludge, desert rock-type stuff. Damon, let's trade some music. I hava a TON of newish (90s-00's) dub that you would dig. I prefer my dub old schoool a la Prince Jammy, etc., but i think you dig the newer stuff?

You got any new Sort of Quartet or Fatso Jetson (those guys still play)?

dc

Gabino said...

Isn't there old bass player in High on Fire now?


I'm growing out my hair and I'm telling you in about 6 months I'm going to shame that dude's do.

alright, give me a year.......