Monday, August 3, 2009

Group Doueh!

I picked up Group Doueh's Guitar Music from the Western Sahara (Sublime Frequencies) just before I went on vacation. It floors me! Doeuh has been trying since the late 70's to incorporate Jimi Hendrix into his native Sahrawi/Mauritanian sound to incredible results. Check this:



or this:



Doueh has turned down offers to record in Europe to maintain full control over his music. Guitar Music from the Western Sahara contains selections from his personal archives spanning 30 years. And, as the video clips indicate, there is also a Sublime Frequencies video available.

This is some of the best guitar music I have heard in a long time.

2 comments:

DC said...

Sweet. I love shit like this. Bill Zink, hit me with the yousendit or let's trade dvd's old school style.

Bill Zink said...

Alas, I have not the video, though I should get it soon. I'm a bit of a technophobe so I'm not sure how to get you anything besides burning it and mailing it . . . so, email me your address & I'll rip you a copy of the audio CD.