Monday, January 4, 2010

Mississippi Records/Tapes


Part One: Mississippi Records.

For the longest time I wanted to check out Mississippi Records. I always saw them shouted out in interviews and in cool magazines, but I never got around to it. Then, Quentin Tarrantino movie style, flash back to like 2 years ago, on the way home from work I stopped in Beacon's Closet, a thrift store in Brooklyn, and picked up this LP "Life is a Problem". No details, totally random, but cool packaging and amazing old school funky blues gospel shit from the 30's, plus a bonus 7". The whole thing had a certain vibe to it. Then a few months later I pick up a few other LPs that always had that same kind of vibe... "Washington Phillips" and "I Can't Stand To Live In This World Anymore"... I always dug those LPs. Well, turns out I have a Mississippi Records record collection like 5 LPs deep. They even did that Phillip Cohran reissue from a few years ago. That thing is awesome.

Part Two: Tapes

Another thing I got into in 2009 was the tapes scene. hahaha, records were no longer esoteric enough for me so I had to get into cassettes. Next is 8-Tracks only, then reel-to-reel machines. But seriously, i have a tape deck in both my cars and the busted-ass speakers sound just as good with the analog tape vibe as CDs, and I score cassettes at Garage Sales for like $.25 a pop... Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, shit like that usually, but last weekend I got all these old school Sonic Youth and Velvet Underground tapes at an Estate Sale. The Velvets tape has a nasty cigarette burn in it, it adds to the sound somehow.

But mainly when I'm talking about the tapes scene I'm talking about bands like The Skaters, James Ferraro and all his many side projects. LA Tape scene like The Smell type bands on Not Not Fun, etc. Sun Araw, Emeralds (forgotten best of band from 2009), Sunburned Hand of the Man, shit like that. This Blog has a million cassettes. There are a million blogs like this. Also, at Other Music they always have random, limited edition like 100 print run of cassettes from lo-fi underground Brooklyn labels for $5.00 or less.

One of the main reasons I've been into bug out music like this is because I do a lot of it in my Kid Scooba project, which is my favorite music project of all time (sorry, Monastics). I actually got around to taking some of my recent jams and making my own cassette because I'm gay like that. Check it out, holla at me if you are interested because it really is dope if you are into this type of music, plus the hand made one-of-a-kind cover, you just have to promise not to sell it on eBay. I may digitize it some day, but it won't fit on a CD because it's 100 minutes.

Check you when i check you. DC OUTT OUUT OUT!!

Kid Scooba Rig:

2 comments:

DC said...

http://community.livejournal.com/black_man_land/721896.html

Phil Cohran download

Gabino said...

Cousin, I was making cassette mixes when you were in puberty. Send me an 8 track mix and I'll display it next to my edison wax cylinder, proudly.