Monday, January 25, 2010

more notes on hip hop from a white guy

Anyone check out Bike for Three!, "More Heart than Brains"? I think got it on Radiobutt, best thing I've heard in the way of hip hop in a while. It's a collaboration between Canadia rapper Buck 65 and Belgian electronic musician Joëlle Phuong Minh Lê, done long-distance, and the kicker is that they have never actually met. The result is something different really than any hip hop album around, to me there is much more attention to the music, not just a beat, an ironic sample, and then lyrics. Also, Buck 65 is pretty amazing, his solo stuff is really cool too; dude's the existentialist rapper, talking about loneliness, identity crisis, massive life fuck-ups, and telling great stories, and aside from some comical boasting on the old-school b-boy track "MC Space" (the weakest track on the album if you ask me), free of the same old empty bragging that is a hip hop cliche.

BTW, if you haven't checked out the new Doom album, he's always worth listening to, and he samples a really dark Bukowski poem on his latest album. I also like the new Mos Def album.

Alright, all three albums are white-guy friendly hip hop, but what're you gonna do.....

2 comments:

Bill Zink said...

That Doom LP has one of the most disgustingly homophobic cuts I've ever heard (and I listen to Kool Keith, so I've heard some).

rootless said...

Yeah, I know the one you mean, pretty dumb, but I still like the album.