Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Tame Impala, MMOSS, Black Angels

Hi.
I just wrote a post about Tame Impala "Innerspeaker," but deleted it shortly after. I realized that I probably checked it out because one of y'all posted about it already. I feel so foolish.

Anyway, I have been walking around delivering mail in Rotterdam for a few weeks now, and I listen to it quite often. I like it a lot, and I pulled these two videos off of their website (they look very young):



Some other titles I've been listening to include:

The Black Angels - Directions to See a Ghost
MMOSS - i


I mentioned to a chum of mine that I enjoyed MMOSS, and he proceded to tell me that one of the fellows in the band was a former student of his at UNH.
That's nice.
Well, they are more of that retroey psychedelic stoney rock that I love. They will not blow your mind open with their new approach to music, but they are worth a listen. If you go here, you can name your price for their album >>> http://mmoss.bandcamp.com/




Yep, The Black Angels are also reverby and psychedelic, but more jangly in a dreamy pop sort of way. Does that make sense? Go to their website to inspect their wares. They are constantly streaming.

Thank you for your time.

4 comments:

DC said...

Thanks, Jimmy.

Tame Impala is to The Beatles as Wolfmother is to Black Sabbath.

Black Angels is one of those bands that every song sounds the same, but i like them for that quality.

JT, you should maybe check out Ganglians... they are kind of on the animal collective tip in some ways, but have lots of the same qualities i think you dig in music. Ch-ch-ch-ch-check it.

Gabino said...

I don't really hear the Beatles thing from TA, just more of a nice retro vibe. But actually I'm more interested in your profession, you're a Dutch mailman?

Jim Turbert said...

"JT, you should maybe check out Ganglians..."

i will be doing that. i pulled down a sample, and i will be listening to it during work tomorrow.

yeah, i deliver mail to dutch people. i wouldn't call it a profession, though. this is my fifth week, and so far i find it relaxing. if it paid way more i would try to make a career out of it. alas, it pays very little, so i'm still looking for other work. it's difficult to find a job here if you speak dutch at the level of a toddler. i'm working on that.
oh, in case you were wondering, i'm here because my wife is dutch. fortunately, she has a pretty sweet job, so we are not starving. we currently live in rotterdam, but we used to live in boston.

Gabino said...

that sounds like a lovely gig.