Thursday, March 8, 2012

Where can I find the good shit?

The whole Spotify thing is cool, but one of the downsides is I trade music with my homies less. We still might say "hey, you check out so & so" or whatever, but I feel like I'm generally exposed to a little less than in the past when I used to get 4 gig hook-ups on the regular.

So I find out about music where I can. I check the Pitchfork reviews, read Brooklyn Vegan, Glowing Raw (where you can still generally download a whole album if you're so inclined) and a few other things. But Altered Zones is gone. I was wondering if ya'll could shout out some other websites you check out to hear about new bands, new albums, etc.

BTW, any of you read about Bradford Cox freaking out after someone shouted he should play "My Sharona"? He then launched into "an improvised, hour-long rendition"? I love that dude, what a brilliant nut. Here's my favorite quote in case you don't want to read the whole thing:

"Section three: I am a terrorist. As a homosexual, my job is simply to sodomize mediocrity. I am terrified and horrified and shocked that anyone would mention Phish in any article related to me."

1 comment:

ator said...

i read that article.... i thought he made an interesting point about bands being less willing to let loose knowing that EVERYTHING shows up on YouTube an hour later

As for new music, one place I still get turned onto new bands/artists is listening to Internet radio, which I throw on sometimes when I need some background music and nothing in my library jumps out at me. Specifically, Im a big fan of UC Berkeley's college radio station (KALX), they've got some really amazing DJs and have a station policy to play an eclectic blend of music (so it's not just all the latest college indie hits):

http://kalx.berkeley.edu