Friday, September 18, 2009

Bigfatsatanist


DC asked me to hook him up with some Derek Bailey/Han Bennink after he saw a reference I made in the comments to the Jim O'Rourke post. I told him that I would indeed, as soon as I got a few minutes to dig up the CDs (still packed from moving and a minor basement flooding problem). Lo and behold, before I get the chance, it shows up on bigfatsatanist.com. Sweet!

This would be the very CD that I was planning to send out. "Post Improvisation" does not (necessarily) refer to the musical "school" involved . . . rather, it's a simple descriptor of the recording process: Bailey would make a tape, mail it to Bennink, Han would add his part, then send it back with a new tape for Derek to dub on to. It's a swell little album, with Bailey chattering away at his abstract best, and Bennink pulling out every weird little thing he knows. They both play together extremely well. One of my favorite Derek Bailey records.

As far as bigfatsatanist is concerned, it is a goldmine of heaviness and noise. The emphasis is on grindcore, sludgemetal, and experimental, but you can find all kinds of goods here, from Scrawl to John Fahey, from Tom Ze to the Sun City Girls, from U S Maple to Sunny Murray, from Palace to Giacinto Scelsi. Definitely one of the preimier music stops on the web.

Now, if you excuse me, I'm going to head back and pick up a rip of that Sunn O))) tour-only cassette. In the meantime, DC, you can still expect a little care package in the not-too-distant future.

4 comments:

uaxuctum said...

How very kind of you. Much appreciated. I added your blog to my links.

DC said...

Lots of killer stuff here, but not sure how the Tropicalia/MPB shit ties in to the "bigfatsatanist" vibe. But thanks for the music BFS!

T E S T said...

Hei,

Bigfat vanished from the ether. Wha' occured? Antone know?

Norway.

jake? said...

yeah, what happened? Does anyone know what could happen to that dude? I´m suffering this loss a lot. It´s like the only place you could get strange gems, and not just a few, they were tons and tons of em. Fortunately, the files are still up for download if you look for bigfatsatanist in filestube. It was a big surprise to find´em hanging there pale and skinny without fresh air. Lets bring that music back to the light!
Greetings from Guatemala!!!