Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Guitar(s)

Just got "Sunkissed" by Guitar. This is an "old" record (2002) from a label that puts out, from what I can figure, lots of German-ish electronica. This record, however, is a shameless stylistic mash-up of My Bloody Valentine and Cibo Matto. I'm a complete sucker for the well executed shoegaze. I care not that "it's been done before." I care not that backwards tracked Japanese girl-voiced vocals are kind of shameless. The guitars are big, very big. The reverbs, forwards and backwards, are likewise.



That's not, actually, one of the better offerings, but it was all I could find online to share.

There are a few songs that veer into Boards of Canada territory, and you know what? I don't care. I've developed a middle-aged soft spot for those guys (and Four Tet, and a few others). In fact, in looking at the other artists on this label, I'm pretty sure I'll be downloading something by Manual (who sound basically like BoC but with a little more humph).

Thanks for inviting me into the blog.

6 comments:

Gabino said...

nice tip, I would check that out. I still love shoegaze stuff, I'll still listen to triphop for fucks sake. I'm one big middle aged soft spot. Actually hasn't shoegaze come back around?

I only have a Manual & Syntaks Golden Sun but have Iistened to it as much as I've listened to BOC or Four Tet recently, it's a great album I've recently rediscovered.

Stop caring not!

DC said...

Ain't no shame in listening to BOC, one of my top five fave bands of all time... I'll check this out, thx for the tip.

Gabino said...

am also glad Blue Oyster Cult are finally getting some props around here, though I don't hear the Four Tet connection. Are you with me Bill Zink?

comfortstarr said...

I also recently bought "You'd Prefer and Astronaut" by Hum. That's a pretty great record too from this genre.

Gabino said...

Always wondered about that Hum record, I'd see it in a lot of bargains bins(not that there is anything wrong with that). You should check out Asobi Seksu, very similar to that Guitar vibe but more recent and even denser/dreamier/poppier. I think it's on http://radiobutt.blogspot.com/

Gabino said...

actually now that I see that cover, I didn't see Hum in bargain bins, I think I was thinking of Helmet