Monday, September 7, 2009

Jim O'Rourke

This story in the NY Times got me on a Jim O'Rourke downloading kick. I had heard of Jim, I think in connection with his work with Sonic Youth, and maybe Wilco, but didn't know much about him, interesting dude, lives full-time in Tokyo now. A Captain Crawl search gives a pretty good profile of his work. "Insignificance" is alternative rock, but he is more of an abstract composer, producer and serial collaborator. Check out the one he did with Austrian guitarist Fennez (who I've posted about), or the two-part "Tokyo Realization" or "Happy Days", which is one 47 minute-long drone track (but with other things going on).


2 comments:

Bill Zink said...

He did an amazing record with Eddie Prevost (drummer/percussionist for AMM), but I forget the name of it. It's up there with the Derek Bailey/Hans Bennink records.

anamnesis said...

been listening to the visitor on repeat for 24 hours. thanks jimbo!