Sunday, November 22, 2009

Metropolis Ensemble & Sergey Kuryokhin

Caught a pretty amazing show Friday night at Le Poisson Rouge, on Bleeker street in the west village. Before I say anything about the show, first what a cool place LPR is, they have such an eclectic mix of music. Prefuse 73 did a free show there recently, they had a night of doom metal also recently, and the other show I had seen there was James Blackshaw; I'm always hearing about shows I want to check out there. Whoever curates the place has a great vision. Anyway, a friend of mine told me about the Metropolis Ensemble, he knows the conductor, and I was glad I heard about it. They premiered 4 new pieces by different young composers, each one was amazing, though a few went on a bit too long. Lots of experimentation--the first piece was by a female composer who added vocals that reminded me of a Brian Ferneyhough album I have--and the music often transcended genre incorporate elements of Brazilian percussion, Balinese folk music, and jazz. One of the most interesting shows I've seen in a while.

Still going strong pouring through seventeen green buicks, so deep. I've gotten so much killer jazz the last week or so it is ridiculous. One strange and very cool find has been this solo piano record by Sergey Kurokhin, who I guess was a Russian actor who also produced experimental music. This album, Some Combination of Fingers and Passion, is odd and amazing, swinging wildly from boogie-woogie to avant-garde classical to more traditional, Chopinesque sonatas, to free-jazz. It's challenging but not too much so, if you've liked Cecil Taylor or Charles Ives' Piano Pieces you should check this out.

No comments: