Monday, November 2, 2009

DC LOOCH MEGA POST

Hey bros. It's been a minute since I rapped at ya. Here are a bunch of records i've gotten lately.

Everybody should know by now that i am totally on Numero Group's jock, but their latest is crazy.

Deluxe 2 LP set of amazing funk jams from Chicago in early 70's, plus a god damn coffee table book of amazing black and white photographs from the same era, taken in seedy funked out night clubs. All comes packaged in a gigantic case like an inch and a half wide that looks great next to all the other records on a shelf. This thing is beautiful. Plus I pre-ordered so i got a limited edition 45, AND a limited edition print by the photographer.






Speaking of Numero Group, I got hip to this LP on their blog. It is a limited edition joint called "This LP Crashes Hard Drives" that was sold at Record Store Day last year. I never realized what Record Store Day was all about until this year, and even then I missed it. So, when I hit up Other Music two days later, this was long gone. Anywho, I scored it on eBay $19.99 "Buy It Now". It's a comp with tracks from Numero, Now Again, Jazzman, Daptone, Honest Jon's, etc. Great comp, plus came with some promo shit including a CD comp from Light in the Attic records out of Seattle that is really really dope. Plus when you put it on your record shelf it gives the illusion of being a full shelf, which has helped my game considerably.




I was going to drop a massive Kurt Vile post because I was jocking his LP from last year "Constant Hitmaker" on Woodsist so hard (my entry for best album of the year, which is going to be a thing on the blog next month), but then the new one came out which is great. A little more polished than the first one, but that ain't saying much because the first is like 4-track demo quality with a Frusciante "Niandra Ladies" level of bedroom intimacy, if you feel that. But the new one is more of just a rocking good time. Kurt Vile, ladies and gentlemen, great stuff.



Speaking of Woodsist, here is the sweet "Boat Trip" LP on Woodsist from my new fave band, Sun Araw. This is a eBay score as well, but a Captain Crawl search should get you this or "Heavy Trip", both of which are the greatest fucking music you have ever heard in your entire life. After a few beers and whatever else you are into listen to this on 11 and it is the best music you will ever experience.



I got this Norman Connors joint for $1.00 from some lady on Eighth Avenue, it's good, it has Herbie Hancock, Gary Bartz, a bunch of those type of dudes, Cecil McBee, Stanley Clarke, etc. Still in shrink wrap! DC!! DC!!!!



Speaking of which, Norman Connors is the drummer on this Pharaoh Saunders joint which is also becoming an all time fave:



All right, let me wrap this shit up. I found these at the Flea Market in Park Slope and got as a part of a three-for-$5. "Muhammad Ali Defeats Tooth Decay" classic beat digger joint, funky jams with Muhammad Ali doing his thing on top. Any old school heads, if you remember the old school Money Jackson All Star track with a sample that goes "Oh.. the name sends chills up my spine!", that is from this record. Anywho, I got that and "DOPE! The Fall of the Dope Pusher" which has a bunch of killer samples and funky wah wah jams on it. Both are apparently from the JImmy Carter collection. The red vinyl on dope LP just looks cool as hell, and the white vinyl with picture of Evil Dr. Tooth Decay is pretty tight:






Here's the last one. This is a shitty 80's 12" called "Krayzay" or something, but I thought it was note worthy that it featured Sly Stone... wasn't he deep in hiding in the 80's? Or did that happen later?




DC OUT!

4 comments:

Gabino said...

How could you give us all that info and then not tell us what kind of beer that is?

rootless said...

I just hope you limited yourself to 3 beers tops to avoid the dreaded DC Looch 4 beer hangover.... Kurt Vile is cool, I'ver been digging that album.

Gabino said...

Do we think that is beer #3 or #4?

T.J. said...

I just picked up Childish Prodigy from Mr. Vile. F'ing dope.