Thursday, December 30, 2010

Happy New Year- Now for Some Satanic Disco Shit

I only joined this blog this year, and since relocating to Seattle I haven't checked in or contributed often. Collectively, though, you guys have enriched my musical life in this short time more than I could attest to in a court of law. I never would have gotten into Wild Nothing or Kurt Vile if not for following the trail of taste crumbs you guys dropped this year, and I know there were lots of other leads I got here that I'm not remembering off the top of my head. Kurt Vile though- thanks.

Since I haven't been carrying my weight around here, I wanted to crawl a couple inches toward returning the favor.

First, the Satanic disco shit. If you're into Front 242, My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult, or Black Devil Disco Club, you might get a kick out of the retro-sinister industrial stomp and end of the world sampling shitstorm of Gatekeeper and their EP Giza . I don't know much about them, but sometimes that's the way I like to keep it. Facts just get in the way, make us weak, give Beelzebub meaty human form and body image issues. No good. I was trolling blogs and checked this out spurred on by the Jean-Michel Jarre record art alone, and I kept listening because of the subliminal messages telling me I had to.




Second thing- if any of you fans of Kurt Vile haven't listened to this already, you should really check out Sweet Lights. This is Philadelphia musician Shai Halperin, former member of The Capitol Years and The War on Drugs (for whom the inimitable long-haired turtle man Kurt Vile also played), and his self-titled record here is just good, clean amazing.


Happy new year.

1 comment:

Igor said...

nodata dot tv /7614