Monday, February 1, 2010

Avant-Hillbilly: Henry Flynt




Wow! How have I missed this guy all these years? Equally well known as a philosopher and musician, Flynt is a self-taught, outsider genius in both fields.

Aesthetically/philosophically, he was primarily known for his anti-art stance, an aesthetic which filtered down to art punks here and in Europe (art strike, anyone?).

Musically, he moved in the Fluxus orbit in the 60's, though he was not aligned with them on a theoretical level. He was also friends with, among others, LaMont Young, an association which shows on these two gems.

Flynt is a minimalist in the classical sense. What makes him interesting is that he uses American Hillbilly vernacular as the language of his minimalism. Like most minimalists, he relies heavily on repetition. Unlike most minimalists, his musical gestures are bluegrass tropes. You Are My Everlovin'/ Celestial Power is a raga-based (and heavily Indian influenced) solo violin exploration, a completely tranced out little treat. New American Ethnic Music Volume 2: Spin Dizzy is a collection of shorter pieces spanning the years 1968 - 83. There are solos and duets, fiddles and guitars, and tons of fun.

If you could imagine a musical crossbreeding that screams NO COMMERCIAL POTENTIAL, a combination of bluegrass and twentieth century avant-garde art music would have to be at the top of the list. For that reason alone, Henry Flynt is worth a listen. Myself, I've been pumping Spin Dizzy in the car for the better part of a month.

As per usual, the peerless Bigfatsatanist is responsible for these wonderful sides.

3 comments:

DC said...

HA! You beat me too it. I've been meaning to shout out You Are My Everlovin'/ Celestial Power for a while now, that is so great.

Gabino said...

Everlovin'/ Celestial is super cool, think that spindizzy is corrupt, can't get it to expand. Also found these:

http://pukeskywalker.blogspot.com/2008/10/henry-flynt-back-porch-hillbilly-blues.html

not liking theses as much as the long pieces

Bill Zink said...

Seriously, this was so much in my wheelhouse in the mid-90's, I can't believe I hadn't heard of him.

I've got an hour drive each way to work, which is where I do most of my listening these days. I can't listen to Everlovin'/Celestial on the road, 'cause it totally trances me out, which isn't a good idea running up I-65 at 75 per. But I'm home now, so I'm-a gonna bust it out. Wonder if the wife has any of that hydrocodone left over from her back problems . . .