Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Eternity



I got this Alice Coltrane Record at Mercer Street Books. That used to be my SPOT when I worked in SoHo.

It's really really good. It was touch and go... 1976 on Warner Brothers, with that cover, and you are on shaky ground. I wasn't sure if I should drop on it. She got into some wacky shit. Did I ever blog about the tape she made for some yoga retreat in 1986? That's actually pretty good. But I don't know, wasn't sure if this would be worth record store prices...

But it's a winner all the way through. The first side has that kind of cheesy organ sound she gets, but fuck it, i like it. The third track is a long funky jam with Charlie Haden on bass, Ben Riley on drums, and "a friend" on timbales.

The real jam/gem is Track 1, Side B, "Om Supreme", it's just a solo rhodes workout all the way throughout, half way through a group of voices join in, and when they build up to the refrain "CA-LI-FORN-IA!! CA-LI-FORN-IA!!", I get goose bumps. I fell asleep to this jam on my couch last night and it was the best. I had to pull myself out of a dream to start the record over and do it again.

Lucky for you jerks I Captain Crawled it and here it is on this dude's blog. Now you can just set that song to infinite repeat and fall asleep to it every night like me.

dc

P.S. What else is good? What's the new shit I'm missing out on? Yeasayer? More like Gay-sayer! OH DAMN! HE SAID IT! That is a band I really really want to like but just not into their music. And Vampire Weekend? Dude, I can't even think of a snap witty enough to properly address their gayness. I like the new Spoon joint, though.

4 comments:

Gabino said...

What is more unkind, using gay as a derogatory term or ridiculing Deadheads? just wondering.

rootless said...

I actually really like both the new Yeasayer and Vampire Weekend. "I Remember" off Odd Blood is my joint right now. And Vampire Weekend gets tons of flack as cultural tourists or whatever, but I actually they stepped up and improved and evolved with this record. But I recognize that both bands are anti-DC bands. The new Spoon is cool, as always, those guys are rock solid, "who makes you money" is the song off that album that I'm digging most.

DC said...

"Gay" is just a word I throw around for a laugh. No offense to any WWALT members who are "that way". Big Steve, I'm looking in your direction.

rootless said...

checking out "eternity" right now, really good stuff.