Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Deerhunter




Best new shit I've heard in a few weeks is the new Deerhunter joint, 2 CD set "Microcastle" and "Weird Era Cont.".

I'm not going to go into a whole thing here about it, I don't have too much in depth to say, but rather I'll just say it is really good listening with really good songs. (Pitchfork will give you the long-winded spiel)

The songs are so good that they made me get over my adversion to their freakishly anorexic lead singer (shudder):




YIKES!

dc

4 comments:

T.J. said...

Just did a quick preview of the songs. It sounds really good. I'll pick it up. Thanks for the post.

ator said...

THanks for posting this D. After hearing a few hype cycles about these guys, and based on the descriptions, I decided it was high time to check them out.... and damn am I glad that I did. This really is a great album; instantly catchy yet unpredictable and weird at the same time. They do what lots of my favorite bands do these days: choose their influences well, but take it to the next level and truly make it their own.

fyi, I think the singer has "Marfan's syndrome" - same thing that Joey Ramone suffered from

DC said...

Yes, I think that this 2xCD set captures urgent and imaginative songs that reorganize 4AD haze, off-kilter indie pop, crashing garage-punk, forward-leaning krautrock, and hypnotic Kranky ambience into a singular-sounding call-to-arms.

(hahaha, i lifted that from pitchfork)

rootless said...

I try not to think about what the guy looks like and I try not to look at the cover of their first album "Turn it up Faggot", but Deerhunter are great. I actually like that guy's solo album, under the name Atlas Sound, more than I like Deerhunter.