Thursday, November 20, 2008

Miriam Makeba






















Hello everybody! Don invited me to this fantastic blog, and when I said "I don't know nearly as much new music as you and your funky friends do", Don says "dude you can just post some kick ass bluegrass." Well I haven't been listening to much bluegrass lately, but I have been listening a lot to Miriam Makeba.

Miriam Makeba is from South Africa (which is a country, not a province of Africa, Ms. Sarah Palin!), and has that really great uplifting africa-meets-jazz-funk sound. She has something in common with Hugh Masekela, both in her music and in that they were married for a time. Sometimes there's some Nina Simone and sometimes there's that clicking you hear in some native african languages. "I Shall Sing" from this album has got to be one of the most joyful recordings ever made.

Miriam just died - November 9th, 2008. She had a heart attack shortly after performing one of her hits - "Pata Pata" - at a benefit concert in Italy.

2 comments:

EJ said...

cool. thanks for joining the blog and laying a total bummer on us, man...


just kidding. you should hip us all to the Captain Beefheart/Frank Zappa side of town...

DC said...

You got that banjo laying around... I thought maybe you had the ill bluegrass connection.