Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Good, The Bad and The Queen



This isn't new, I think it came out a year (or two?) ago. This is a super group... Damon Albarn of Blur and Gorillaz fame (he also runs a killer record label out of UK called Honest Jon's, I believe), the guitarist of the Verve, the bassist from the Clash (!) and fucking Tony Allen of Fela Kuti fame on drums?!?!?

Really good songs, mellow, moody, good cohesive album all over. I'm pretty sure I have seasonal affected disorder (code name: S.A.D., boo hoo hoo!) so i've been bummed out, and this has been perfect fit.

If you missed this the first time, check it out again, really great album.

dc

4 comments:

EJ said...

i totally agree. Danger Mouse produced the record, btw.
I wish that they showcased Tony Allen's drums a bit more, because he's the gooviest guy on the planet, but hey, hopefully next record will be a little more aggressive with the beats...

Gabino said...

Glad to hear a good broheim review of this, I was curious but skeptical so I'll have to check it out.

Tony Allen is the man, got to see him do a short set a few years back (the same week I saw Femi Kuti, that was a good week). It was one of those occasions where I closed my eyes during most of the set. I didn't want to see it live so much as HEAR it live, and I could concentrate better with no visuals (has anyone else ever done that or am I just weird?).

You always hear the concept of "time" when talking about drummers, but there have been moments when I've been listening to him and I feel like his concept of time is "I'm altering the passing of time", like some crazy magic thing, genius.....

DC said...

Yeah, he isn't shredding it up on this, but he is tasteful and his drum parts are "parts" of the song, dig? As much as the guitar and vocals.

ator said...

Paul Simonon on bass.... 'nuff said! Plus Im a big Blur fan, speaking of which they just announced theyre reuniting w/ their OG guitarist, yay!

this is a solid album, but its definitely mood music... i was listening to quite a bit last year but havent peeped it in a while