Saturday, February 14, 2009

Of Montreal-Skeletal Lamping


OK, so I'm the library trying to find that The Good, The Bad The Queen CD when I come upon this. I remember seeing something about this group in Rolling Stone in some waiting room somewhere. They were being compared to early '70s David Bowie. So I borrow it and check it out. Now, this isn't normally my thing, but I think I dig this cd. I really like the way the songs are multi-tiered and switch up tempos 2 and 3 times in a track. And the lyrics? Pretty ah...entertaining as well. After a few listens, I checked out some of their other stuff on iTunes. These guys have quite a bit of output. Does anybody have any of their other stuff they'd like to share/trade/recommend?

3 comments:

EJ said...

I am personally biased against this band. I spent some time with one of the band members while on tour, and was left with a pretty sour taste in my mouth, not to mention being let down after witnessing the level his musicianship. It's still shocking to see bands get hyped up and promoted like they're the best thing since sliced bread, yet they can barely play their instruments. (Sorry, I'm still nauseated from seeing the Jonas Brothers on SNL.)

DC said...

This is Rootless' fave band of all time

rootless said...

Hahaha, it's not my favorite band of all time, but that last album, Hissing Fuana are you the destroyer, is a great album. I think the older Of Montreal albums aren't as good, but with Hissing Fuana the guy just went and did it himself. He is kind of a mad genius, it sounds totally campy 70s retro sometimes, but it also dark and some tracks sound like the Cure.I like Skeletal Lamping, and I think this guy is pretty incredible and the album will blow any open (DC) minds in terms of originality. But I could see his live shows being hit or miss. I do know that DC suffers for fashion, that I know......