Tuesday, February 24, 2009

right now and generally

What's up everybody, I'm listening to Coltrane right now and drinking a beer and it feels really good. I've also been listening to the following lately:

UNKLE: War Stories
Andrew Bird: The Mysterious Production of Eggs
Holy Fuck
Kings of Leon: Aha Shake Heartbreak
Johnny Cash: American Recordings
Autolux: Future Perfect

... and I saw a really cool band Saturday night at the Living Room, on the Lower East Side (which one musician friend said to me was "the best stage in NYC"), Renaldo the Ensemble with Aldo Perez. Crazy circus hilarity that includes costumes, sound effects, comedic banter with the audience, mixed with Tom Waits/Nick Cave style songs with surreal lyrics like "even his goldfish are insane" (sung by a woman in a French maid outfit). 

3 comments:

Gabino said...

Nice list, somebody tell me about autolux.

DC said...

I think Autolux may originally be from TJ of WWALT blog fame (hasn't posted in a while). I don't know their deal.

T.J. said...

Yo yo. I know... I'm REALLY behind. But hey - busy is good these days, eh? I've been planning to lock myself in the basement and play catchup one of these nights. I'm in need of some good new shit and I know this is just the place to come.

Anyway... Autolux is one of my personal favorites. They're also on that UNKLE album listed. (Also a fav of late.) I happened onto a show theirs here in their home town of lalaland early in the 00s. There's definitely a Sonic Youth influence, but generally more melodic. What else? Girl drummer. Droning guitars. Lots of feedback. Pop-tinged vocals.

(Man, I'm rusty. That summation pretty much blows.)

They have a new album waiting to emerge from some industry bullshit they've been mired in. I'd be shocked if we didn't see it in a couple months.

Excited about that...