Sunday, December 6, 2009

Brendan Benson (Here We Go Magic)

Going to put together a "best of" list some time, but had to post about the show I caught Friday night, another really good one at Le Poisson Rouge. Brendan Benson, who plays in the Raconteurs, has a good solo career going and there was a really good buzz about his show. Some fired up Asian girl told me when I was trying to get a beer that "he's like all the Beatles rolled into one!" I don't know about that, but he writes good songs, and if you like some of the Raconteurs stuff, you'll probably dig him. I was actually thinking through-out the show about who the music sounds like and I came up with Elvis Costello, Elliott Smith, Wilco, and then they came out and did "American Girl" as encore with opening act Cory Chisel joining on guitar and vocals and the place went nuts, great time. I know Bill Z. was looking for a good indie band fix, captaincrawl him and check out "Alternative to Love" and "My Old Familiar Friend".

BTW, anyone check out Here We Go Magic, dumb name, but good band from Brooklyn, kind of the Animal Collective tip, really cool actually, I think I got it on Radiobutt.

No comments: