Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Angst-riddled Indie Rock


Don Chase a few years ago made his now famous statement that "all music with lyrics suck", which we should all pause and just actually ponder for a moment. There is a lot of esoteric music that everyone is talking about so far (Boards of Canada, El Ten Eleven), all of which I love, but let's hear it for lyrics! Up with angst! Lately I'm into the Seattle band The Fleet Foxes, I heard they sound a little like Crosby, Stills and Nash, and they do some vocal harmonizing, but they don't really sound like that. Check out the last two tracks on the album, "So Long to the Headstrong" and "Icecicle Tusk", just great song-writing. This band is really popular right now, sold out the Bowery Ballroom really quickly in October (Don: should I spend $50 for a ticket?). I'm also into Bon Iver (also a tough ticket but I got one for a show in December at Terminal Five).

3 comments:

Gabino said...

Love these 2 albums also, keep think I'm going to tire of the MMJ / Bonnie influenced stuff but I guess I haven't yet. That Midlake album from last year is also a really nice um, I guess, "Rural-rock" Jam

EJ said...

I have to agree with Looch, music with lyrics pretty much sucks. But I also have to admit I like the Fleet Foxes. Good stuff.

shadow of shathragot said...

I can hear the Neil Young influence, and the reverb vocals sound similar to Band of Horses. This disc is on top 10 lists all over the place.