Monday, August 25, 2008

Tree Colored See


There's something about this record that really gets to me. This is one of the records I took on a Zen retreat. Its atmospheric sounds, simple melodies, and melancholic lyrics haunted me the whole time.

It's an amazing collaboration between Nobody (DJ/producer/soundscaper) and Mystic Chords Of Memory (a quiet folk/rock duo from LA, I think) that makes for a very mellow yet passionate recording.

Nobody, on his own, is ok; nothing that would make it blog-worthy for me though. (DC gave me Nobody's record Pacific Drift, which I liked but it soon found its way out of the CD player and into storage.) Same goes for MCOM, who's delicate folk/rock arrangements leave me with the word "wussy" on my mind.

Together, however, they compliment each other perfectly by filling in each other's deficiencies; Nobody gives some much-needed balls to MCOM's sleepy arrangements, while MCOM lends melody, lyrics, and cohesive song form to Nobody's beats and ear candy.

So in light of the recent thread of, "Where's the rock? What's up with the bleepy bloopy Warp crap?" and, "Lyrics are worthless, rock is over, let those four played-out chords die already," I feel this is the perfect bridge, the best of both worlds.

No comments: