Monday, August 25, 2008

Aphex Twin

Checking out disc 1 of Aphex Twin's double CD "Drukqs". This is one of the weirder albums I have because he veers from bizarre techno sounds to wistful piano melodies in between; and then some tracks, like"Gwarek2", are random noises and ominous background sounds. I like the transition from Cock/Ver10 into Avril 14th into Mt. Saint Michel Mix. I really don't like techno, it makes me think of spending wasted nights in cavernous clubs in central Europe, horny and filled with angst at not connecting with the music or the Eurotrash donkeys I used to encounter in places like that. But there is something about Aphex Twin that is a cut above the schlock (one of the other exceptions for me is Burial, but that's more downtempo stuff). There is something that is always melodic and intelligent (not to mention beautiful) in his music that saves it and makes it interesting. I guess the song titles are from some esoteric Cornish language. Some songs sound like robot orgies that degenerate into violent chaos, and then the piano songs sound like codas to classic 70s rock albums, played by drugged out lead singers. His double album of ambient tracks is one of my favorite chill-out albums ever. Then there is this guy's whole thing about sticking his head on top of the body of bikini babes (check out some of his videos), which makes me uncomfortable, which is perhaps the point.

1 comment:

Jim Turbert said...

"I really don't like techno, it makes me think of spending wasted nights in cavernous clubs in central Europe, horny and filled with angst at not connecting with the music or the Eurotrash donkeys I used to encounter in places like that."
word.