Friday, August 22, 2008


Seems like Portland is the place on everyone's tongue.  When I think of Portland, I think of the infamous, long-lost Kelly boys, and when I think of the Kelly boys, I think of The American Astronaut.  We're talking grainy black-and-white, space Western rock opera, here, people.

If you plan on checking this out, I highly recommend watching the movie in its entirety before picking up the soundtrack;  you'll get a more associative experience, and the songs will actually make some sense.

The style here is quirky and wide ranging, but not in a forced, self-concious way.  I think these dudes are just kooks.   A very unique aesthetic.  Some of my favorite guitar work is in/on this movie/album.  Nothing flashy-flash, but melodic, intricate, sensitive to the song at hand.  "Like Nothing You've Ever Heard" is one of my all-time top tracks (DC:  this one's got no lyrics, so it sucks way less).

I've never had the opportunity to realm these guys' other stuff, so...

2 comments:

DC said...

I got "Like Nothing You've Ever Heard" off of iTunes. You best believe when Ed Fucking Mubarek says "Some of my favorite guitar work is on this album" I run, don't walk, to go track it down.

Not what i expected, but it is a good track with some tasty guitar playing, plus a huge drum break to open it up which I have already put on my sampler.

Good looking, Edward.

ator said...

Saw that flick at the Red Vic on Haight St when I was living in SF.... very trippy, some incredible sets and photography... and yeah, i rememberr liking the music too

i think i already have this on mp3 somewhere... need to dig it up