Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Junks



Hope I'm not putting my man and future fellow contributor Mike Bolsinga on the spot with this, but this blog is about the hot new shit that we're listening to, and right now this is it for me.

Mike and his buddy got a 5 track EP up on their Myspace page under moniker "The Junks".

www.myspace.com/thejunksound

I think it's dope. Self-described as "a couple of visual artists that got into music with no idea, but it turned out all right", this shit is raw and rough around the edges but ultimately pretty brilliant. It's got that fast, 4-track feel (like first Latin Playboys CD, if you feel that) that makes it more urgent.

The other reason I wanted to post this is to present the flip side to the whole "stealing music" technology debate. I love this era. I love the new technology. I love the fact that 2 creative dudes with Garageband, some random instruments laying around (I think i'm hearing a drum machine, casio, and a guitar?), a little inspiration and a myspace account can put a 5 song EP out to the WORLD. Some dude in Japan may be bumping this. Fuck a record label. DYI has never been easier. Also, this doesn't have a business plan or a marketing strategy, this is art for art's sake and that comes through. Kudos.

So all you lazy motherfuckers get off you asses and go make something.

dc

2 comments:

EJ said...

Sweet. Your post made me pumped to make my breakbeats record.

Also, I just happened to listen to the Latin Playboys CD the other night (it's produced by Tchad Blake, right?), and was not feelin it at all.

But I will still check out The Junks...

DC said...

I don't know... the 2nd one is "Dose" and its kind of wack attack. The first one is the good shit.