Wednesday, August 20, 2008

New Music From the Left Coast

These CD's aren't that new, they've been out for a minute:

Flying Lotus, "Los Angeles"



Hot shit new producer out of LA, Flying Lotus. This CD is great. In the J Dilla/Madlib/Prefuse 73 tradition: weird sounds, unquantized (non-quantized?) beats, bleeps and bloops, but on top of all that there is some intangible something that makes this CD something really good. A lot of this kind of stuff, like last three Prefuse 73 jams, are listen-to-it-non-stop-for-2-weeks-and-then-never-listen-to-it-again type joints, but this one has something that makes it feel like a classic. iTunes says I have listened to this 23 times since I got it.

PLUS, this guy is John Coltrane's 2nd cousin or something, and its put out on Warp Records. What a killer label... everything they put out is dope: Prefuse, Autechre, Squarepusher... but also Battles, as well as that Grizzly Bear joint. Warp Records, nothing but respect.

Also...


Yesterday's Universe (Madlib)



In case you don't know, Yesterday's New Quintet is one of the many projects of producer/musician/artist Madlib who has more personalities than Sybil (Quasimoto, DJ Rels, Madvillian, Beat Konducta, etc.).

Yesterday's New Quintet is basically him playing all the instruments. This equates to him playing drums, and then playing all kinds of keyboards on top sloppy joe style. Sometimes this sounds like a guy who smokes too much herb messing around in his basement (a true statement). At times it is really great. This one is definitely the latter.

On this one, the CD is set up like a compilation of all his groups (Otis Jackson Jr. Trio, Karriem Riggins Trio, The Last Electro-Acoustic Space Jazz & Percussion Ensemble, Kamala Walker & The Soul Tribe, The Jazzistics, Suntouch, Sound Directions, etc… it goes on like this). Each one has it's own flavor. I think he is going to release a "solo album" of each band included. This guy is a dynamo.

Anyway, this CD is bomb, really listenable. Plus the cover artwork is excellent. Highly recommended.

6 comments:

ator said...

good to see that you're into autechre, D. I go through phases w/ those guys, but always have a lot of respect for them. When the time is right, they scratch the itch well, its just that the time isnt right all that often, if you know what I mean

I gotta check out that FLying Lotus stuff

DC said...

"Tri Repeate" is my joint, that's all the Autechre I need, personally. But that is in relatively heavy rotation.

Aphex Twin, another Warp artist. Quality.

ator said...

what about "Confield"? thats gotta be one of the most "difficult" albums I've ever come across, but occasionally very rewarding

Warp does rule.... which reminds me, ive got a bunch of Warp discs on my desk right now.... given to a guy i know who had a clothing company by the singer of Grizzly Bear (a fan of their shirts).... i need to spin through some of these that i havent heard before

Forty said...

What happened to a good ol' traditional rock and roll song? Everyone seems to be into this electronic, jammy, ethereal bleep, bloop shit. Are there any good 4 chord verse, chorus, verse bands out there anymore? I know there are and my goal will be to report on those. Don took me to a show a couple years ago at the Knitting Factory in NYC and the band almost made my head explode.

DC said...

hahahaha, that was Black Dice show at Knitting Factory. Sorry about that Fortson.

EJ said...

"Wildflowers" didn't make the cut? That one will be on my post for sure.
If there are any rock bands out there doing anything good, I definitely want to know about it. I haven't heard anything in a long time to make me a fan of current "rock."