Monday, January 19, 2009

John Fahey

Listening to John Fahey's "Days Gone By", perfect music for waking up, snow on the ground, drinking coffee. I have five of his albums and I think this is my favorite, though I like the title of another the best, "Old Girlfriends and Other Horrible Memories". Fahey plays solo steel-string guitar that probably sounds more like folk than anything, but has strong elements of blues and even classical. His style has been called "American Primitivism", which I think is a cool description. On "Days Gone By" there is a two-part song called "A Raga Called Pat" that has some cool sound effects, a train going by, weird jungle birds, with the guitar lines moving in and out of focus in the background; the title track has trippy voices in the background. Recorded in 1967, it sounds timeless and ahead of its time.

No comments: