Monday, January 26, 2009

The Empyrean - John Frusciante

When I was but a lad in northwestern Connecticut I found Red Hot Chili Peppers oddly appealing and different from the classic rock that I was weened on.  Also, I liked the rock 'n roll tennis commercials they did on TV with Andre Agassi - "Hit the ball as loud as you can!"
My dearly departed uncle knew I liked this band and saved an article about them in Rolling Stone so I could read it.  This must have been when Mothers Milk was just released because the article was focused on new guy, John Frusciante.  In the article he talked about his influences, and he mentioned how excited he was because Maggot Brain had recently been released on CD or something like that.  Because of that line in the interview, my uncle "lent" me his copy of Maggot Brain on vinyl.  I'm not really a vinyl guy, but I'm happy to have this nugget.  Anyway, I'm reminded of this touching tale because upon listening to the first track on John Frusciante's newest offering "The Empyrean" all I could think about was Maggot Brain, and it's pretty awesome.  After the opening track, the jury is still out.  It's very polished, and it sounds good.  There are obviously amazing guitar parts and sounds, including masterfully reverby wah parts.  Unlike some critics, I like John's singing voice.  Also, Flea plays some sweet bass parts.  I'm not sure how into the songs I am, though.  I've listened to it twice threes times thus far, and none of them are sticking with me (with the exception of the Maggot Brain sounding one).  I think that the songs may be missing the geniusy stylistic hooks that I've come to expect from the man.  I have a feeling it will grow on me as I become familiar with the concept behind this concept album.  I really want to like it.  I have a deep affinity for John.  I even bought most of those solo records he put out a few years ago even though I don't listen to all of them.  I'm just glad he exists and that he does what he does, especially considering the fact that there are so many whom I wish would stop doing what they do altogether.  
Does that sound negative?  I like it, don't get me wrong.  It is totally worth checking out, but I guess I expected a masterpiece.  I wanted to like it more.    

4 comments:

DC said...

I feel you, JT. I know you old school Hadley guys are on the same page as me, but for others on here: "Niandra Ladies and Usually Just A T-Shirt", the Frusciante 4-track Demo CD from late 90's, is one of my all time faves. The "Brown Bunny" soundtrack is really really good as well.

RHCP were such an important band for me growing up, now they are pretty lame, but Frusciante specifically was very influential in my development as a musician. It was Blood Sugar Sex Magic where I stopped learning how to play every bass line and started learning how to play the guitar parts.

EJ said...

I know that feeling all too well. It can be disappointing when you become a fan of someone based on something brilliant they've done, then the other shit they do is not as good. I am a huge fan of Squarepusher, I think most of what he's done is simply amazing, but the last album called Just A Souvenir is crap...no matter how much I tell myself to try and give it another chance, it's just not up to par with what the guy is capable of.

DC said...

Agreed.

K. Lastima said...

DC - I still got that picture of Frusciante all smacked up on his mattress, in a shoe box somewhere.