Thursday, January 8, 2009

Son Lux


The album is called At War With Walls and Mazes.  It's the creation of this guy nobody's really heard of previously, Ryan Lott, and it's awesomely strange.  It's trip-hop, electronic, emo rock, classical, and the songs sprawl and morph until I feel like I'm in a 15 minute Godspeed epic where you wind up on a different planet from where you started, though the longest track is 5:41.  His voice took me some getting used to, his singing sounds like he's about to cry, and lyrically he makes sufjan stevens sound like a godless tough guy, but the melodies are strong and the lyrics usually just 1 or 2 lines repeated over and over, so you make it through the first 30 seconds and the payoff comes when the beat and/or other sonic oddness kicks in.  
I just discovered there's a cover of don't you forget about me on his myspace, but I like him anyway. 

1 comment:

DC said...

I think i need to hear this dude's CD. I checked out his myspace but the tracks up there are kind of all over the place so it's a little hard to pin down what his deal is. I think his voice sounds like Thom Yorke a bit...