Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Love and Rockets "Earth Sun Moon"



I'd like to dedicate this blog post to my main man Matt Varnish, who turned his back on the WWALT blog because I think deep down inside he doesn't think he's cool enough (even though this is the guy who won a freaking Grammy for Chili Peppers Album cover?! Anyway...) Shouting this out to Matt Varnish because I distinctly remember rocking out to the cassette of this on the boom box in his basement in 8th grade, putting stickers on our OG Powell Peralta boards.

Great record that stands the test of time, I feel. Love and Rockets are the guys in Bauhaus minus Peter Murphy. They had a pretty solid career in the late 80's/early 90's. They had some MTV hits.

This record is the jam with solid rock #'s on the A-side (including "Buzz Bin" clip of the week or whatever the fuck it was called back then, "No New Tale To Tell"), but it's the flip that really does it for me now. This is just like Jane's Addiction "Ritual De Habitual" for me... I had both of them on cassette, and I basically wore out the A-side when i was a kid (rewinding, remember rewinding?) listening to all the rock jams, and then subsequently found both on vinyl as an adult, and wore out the B-side of the record checking out only the mellow introspective jams.

Since I'm blabbing anyway, can I nominate Side-B Ritual De Lo Habitual as one of the best sides to an album ever in the history of time?

Anyway, Love and Rockets "Earth Sun Moon", an old school classic.

TJ River, JKP, Gabino, Halterlein... any of your motherfuckers still down for this blog? It takes a village to raise a blog.

dc

2 comments:

Jim Turbert said...

you may indeed nominate side b of ritual. it is amazing. i have quite a few embarrassing memories of myself lavishing hyperbolic praise on this record. it really is great. it is another instance of a band that did not keep their promises of greatness. i used to think perry was awesome. i guess that was before i realized that eric a was the awesomest (yes awesomest) one in that band.

ator said...

weird... I used to have Earth Sun Moon on tape back in the day, and dug it, but never had it in heavy rotation

cant remember where, but i recently saw the album again and thought to myself "theres no way that album could possibly stand the test of time"

ok, so you inspired me to give it another whirl! high expectations now though, what w/ these comparisons to Janes and all