Monday, January 19, 2009

School of Seven Bells




I've been reading the brooklynvegan blog lately, lots of good music info on there. They had a post about a show by the trio School of Seven Bells that got me to check out their album "Alpinisms". When I read stuff about "downtempo ambient beats mixed with textured kraut synths" and then about "vocal interplay that hints of Middle Eastern melodies over heavy tribal drum tracks", it's generally something I at least want to check out. And this was actually a huge score for me, really cool band, wish I saw them the other night at (le) possion rouge in the village. These guys toured with M83 and Prefuse 73, so that'll give some more insight into their sound. They sound a bit like Radiohead or that German band Lali Puna, and other times like M83 (they definitely have an 80s thing going on), and a bit of Boards of Canada. And I guess the two girls are twins and they're into lucid dreams, far out, man.

1 comment:

mandrew5000 said...

I checked out one of those gigs at le poisson rouge (seems like they play there alot) on the recommendation of a friend who was really into secret machines (the dude in the band was in secret machines) and it was a pretty sick show. as cool as their sound is, I think their name is even cooler, apparently the school of seven bells is a mythic s. american institution for training pickpockets.