Sunday, January 25, 2009

Yawning Man: Vista Point

I remember watching these dudes play at the mall when I was in high school. I didn't really get it, now I do. They have been around since 1986 in some form or another.
3 piece instrumental surf/Spaghetti Western rock. There is the familiar heavy reverb guitar sound, but I don't really hear many recycled Dick Dale or Ventures riffs here. Lookout for Theremin on one of the tracks. Vista Point has 14 tracks, they combined their two releases into one disc. This is not the "stoner rock" the southern Califonia desert is known for. The drummer played in QOTSA and bassist Mario Lalli is a damn good guitar player in his other band Fatso Jetson. This track reminds me of El Ten Eleven. Check out the slow dirge of Manolete. You gotta love a track named Sony Bono Memorial Freeway!

1 comment:

DC said...

Is this old or new? What's up with Fatso Jetson and Sort of Quartet? I'm out of the loop. I dig this track, though.