Friday, March 6, 2009

Funkadelic



Growing up I always lumped Parliament/Funkadelic into one bucket and knew it as the disco, late-70's funkified shizzz the Dr. Dre sampled. I checked it out a few times but it was (and for the most part, still is) a little too discotheque for me. I'll get my funky groove on with Parliament on the headphones, but the whole Sir Nose, weird mythology and fantasy angle turns me off as well.

At some point I realized that Funkadelic was a different animal and decided to check it out. Upon listening to the eponymous Funkadelic LP, my mind was blowed. Starts with a funky overly reverbed voice telling you that "If you lick my soul, I will suck your funky emotion", and then the drums! Thick drums in that good groove that can work with a funk jam or a grunge riff.

It was like a funkier, more bugged out Band of Gypsies. A ten minute groove on one funky rock riff but that never grows old. Head nodding music. More rock than disco.

There is a time and place for Parliament, but Funkadelic is my jam.

If you want more info, Issue 18 of the stellar magazine Wax Poetics was entirely dedicated to the Funkadelic/Parliament crew, explains their history and lineage.

1 comment:

Gabino said...

I go through phases with each of them, they both have their strengths (and honestly, weaknesses).

Don't have any info but here is a pretty good doc out there. I remember a female vocalist telling a story about how when recording they wouldn't shower until the project was done, now that's funky!