Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Journey in Satchidananda



I have a good amount of Alice Coltrane on vinyl. I dig it, she is my favorite Coltrane. but I don't listen to it at home too much... at some point it gets too abrasive, skronky and out and scares my wife and kids.

My main man, blog code name K.Lastima, just hit me with the care package with the dope shit, including "Journey in Satchidananda"... I swear I had this one on vinyl, but maybe I sold it? Anyway, good to have this for the headphones, but ironically this is the one AC album I would play for mass consumption. Never gets too out... just out enough. Deep bass lines and sitar create cool atmosphere. This CD has been perfect for the commute into work, putting me in a contemplative mood.

Top notch. Good looking out, K.Lastima!

dc

4 comments:

Gabino said...

I've had a couple of record store epiphanies; hearing something that was twisting my melon and then asking what it is and it's her, but she's your favorite Coltrane? Dude that is some kind of groove brinkmanship, you like it better than Live at the Village Vanguard, or Crescent, or Impressions?

Feel you about skronk and scaring the family, we should start a thread about that.

rootless said...

I think it is actually impossible or at least beyond reason to say (and mean) that Alice Coltrane is your favorite Coltrane. DC, you my man, but lay off the crack.

K. Lastima said...

Let me back up my man for a minute....The other Coltrane will certainly explode your head, but that doesn't mean he's the one you want to listen to the most. Talking John Coltrane is kind of like talking The Beatles; the first, the best, the mold breaker and genre maker. But I rarely kick out a Beatles jam, and I listen to Alice far more often than John. I mean, Kobe's the best hoopster, but there's no way that mofo is my favorite. Dig?

DC said...

well said