Friday, March 27, 2009

Numbers Game

I've been thinking about JT's post, and I agree. Back in the day when i bought CD's... back through high school, when i bought cassettes... I'd get a new album and listen to it back and forth and learn it until i knew the songs and could pretty much sing along to the whole thing.

Not so much when you get back to back 4GB kick downs from friends. I still try to absorb new music vs. filing it away. I clear out my iPhone and add just the new stuff to force me to sift through it.

So i thought i would do a little exercise and now on the close of Q1 2009 WWALT Blog fiscal quarter, i went back through my iTunes to do some analytics (god, I've been working too much...)

Since January 1st I've added 21GB to my iTunes. Granted, unlike Rootless and maybe some of you other guys, i make knee jerk reactions and delete a lot of stuff when i first get it... "Decemberists? I don't like them. Dept of Eagles? That's the guy from Grizzly Bear? OK, i'll keep it. 5 second sound test of something else... nope. Delete." So technically i've gotten more than that. This also includes 8GB of avant electronic music that blurs into one big bug out.

But of those 21GB, there are only really a little under 1GB that I have fully proceesed, like listened to and i can identify the songs and sing along (or hum along). About 14 CD's.

So, that's .5%? I'm ok with that. I like those .5% an awful lot.

The more music you get the higher probability of finding something new and dope you have never heard of before.

2 comments:

Pete said...

I had the same problem. I've just tried this new method: I receive the disc and drag all the files into a folder. All except stuff I already have. I open the folder and put it on Shuffle. Then I listen through my car stereo, where I won't really be able to tell what exactly I'm listening to. In the past sometimes a group will have a corny name or something and I would come up with a reason not like it or even give it a fair listen. Now I've discovered some new shit I might not have given a fair chance when I first got it.

K. Lastima said...

I got a DVD from DC, cleared out my iPod, and DVD DC is the only thing on there. It's helped me make some headway. And I try not to get bent if I don't listen to everything; if I'm ever sitting around saying, "Fuck, I'm tired of all my music, I need new shit," all the new shit is in a special place where I can get at it.

PS to DC: Brightblack Morning Light. Way diggin' it.