Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Rites of Spring: End on End

If you need some hardcore in your rotation check this out. I needed to take a break from my mega dub/dnb listening session. I was ready for the rock again. 1985, Dischord, half the dudes later started Fugazi. The "emo" label is rumored to have started with these guys, but I'm not really sure what bands are "emo". This disc has 17 tracks from their first release and an EP. Lots of good guitar riffage, rhythm section can get sloppy, production ragged, but damn it's punk rock! They have a more melodic take on punk than some of the faster thrash stuff of the time.

9 comments:

Gabino said...

Dude that is perfect '85 noise, reminds me of Husker Du. If that is where emo came from it sure was a slippery slope.

Shadow I have a blog man crush on you because of your awesome pic, let's get some metal posted on here!

ator said...

yeah, what does emo even mean anymore? it used to be hardcore punk w/ poetic lyrics, now its death cab for cutie and taking back sunday

love me some Rites of Spring though. ive always thought it would be rad to hear an updated version of that one album they did.... not that it doesnt rule as is, but i just picture it re-recorded by fugazi with modern gear and production. on the other hand, i would settle for just a new fugazi album one of these blue moons

DC said...

Have you checked out "The Evens"? Ian MacKaye on baritone guitar and a woman drummer. It's more mellow than Fugazi but scratches that itch. It's like "Fugazi Lite".

rootless said...

What is baritone guitar?

ator said...

Nah, I should check out the Evens. Been meaning too, but to be honest I was worried that it would NOT scratch the itch! Good to hear that it might.....

Gabino said...

A baritone guitar is a 4th or so lower in pitch and has a longer scale. There is one at my practice space and it strikes me as kind of useless, like a guitar with bad action or a diet bass.......

DC said...

i agree re: baritone but it works for that project... he basically plays bass and guitar

DC said...

i think "brokeback" used bari guitar

Gabino said...

No dis to that Evens disc, it's cool and I'm not even a Fugazi type.....