Sunday, March 8, 2009

Mark Lanegan

I've been on a kick listening to a lot of singer/song-writers with deep, rough voices and dark lyrics. First it was Johnny Cash's "American Recordings" for a while, then I got into Nick Cave's new one, and, spending the weekend in Vermont, I've been listening to Mark Lanegan. He used to be the lead singer in the '90s grunge band, The Screaming Trees, and I'm not sure, but I don't think he's gotten enough props on his solo career. I like "Field Songs" a lot, and "Scraps at Midnight" almost as much. Really good, deep voice, sets the mood, the music never tries to do too much. I'll probably get on a Tom Waits kick next. Anyone else think of musicians along these lines?

10 comments:

Gabino said...

Those first four Leonard Cohen albums were remastered this past year, absolutely essential...

I've been digging Willard Grant Conspiracy a lot lately, kind of like an Americana Nick Cave at moments, other times kind of Bonnie Prince vibe with more instrumentation. And he's got a pretty big deep voice.

K. Lastima said...

Check out William Elliot Whitmore.

rootless said...

I've listened to Leonard Cohen lately, and will check out more. He is getting a lot of press regarding his tour in North America in a long time. I think I saw that he is playing NY for the first time in 15 years soon. I like a lot of Bonnie Prince, good call. I'll check out Willard Grant and William Elliot Whitmore, don't know those two, thanks for the tip.

Gabino said...

Rootless are you part of the CHASE disc full 'o' mp3s by mail network? would be into swapping some brooding acoustic files with you, get my email from DC if interested.

rootless said...

I am, and let's do it, though I suspect that we have cross-fertilized via DC and have a lot of the same stuff.

Gabino said...

The stuff we are talking about doesn't seem quite DC style, maybe just a little cross fertilization has taken place.

EJ said...

I like Nick Drake a lot. Jeff Buckley, John Cale, definitely Tom Waits, Captain Beefheart, David Bowie, Syd Barrett, John Lennon, Bob Marley, Elliott Smith

DC said...

A lot of stuff you gus (Gabino, Rootless) give me probably gets deleted and filtered out before it gets to the next dude.

rootless said...

That's why I don't want you filtering me, DC!!!

shadow of shathragot said...

What about The Gutter Twins? The Greg Dulli/Lanegan project. I heard some interesting tracks on Amazon.