Sunday, March 22, 2009

Pearl Jam Vs.

Before you say "wick-wick-wack" hear me out on this one.

When I was in 11th grade I lived in southern VT. We drove down to UMass, Amherst on a Thursday night and saw Pearl Jam in a gymnasium--before "10" came out. I still have the set list I peeled off the stage afterwards. This experience was the sole reason I decided to go to college at UMass. They had good shows there.

Then I found Herbie Hancock Headhunters and kissed the distortion guitars goodbye for 15 years.

During this time I listened to nothing but groove-based stuff. Groove jazz, funk, hip hop, old school soul, neosoul, DJs, electronic groove, mash-ups with 80s tunes and fat beats. Herbie, Stevie, Prince, Aretha, Marvin, Tribe, De La, Jurassic, everything. Boom clack boom clack in my cheerios.

I'm at the point where I'm just sick of it.

So I got my iTunes together and Ka-POW: Pearl Jam Vs.

Still good. Raw, mean, a little bit of pocket here and there, some nice maxed out vocals, great for 20 minutes at 7 mph on the treadmill.

So, yeah, Pearl Jam Vs. Cause that's how we do it.

4 comments:

rootless said...

I feel you, nothing to be ashamed of at all, that was a great album. I remember the anticipation when that came out. I had a guitar teacher when I was a teenager that was catching all those grunge bands in NYC before they blew up. He would tell me about seeing Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Screaming Trees, and others on the same bill. When Nirvana broke it was huge, I remember being in the 7-11 parking lot trying to figure out the lyrics to smells like teen spirit. Vs. is cool record, Blood, Rearviewmirror, Animal all good stuff. I was also feeling the southern VT and UMass angle, I was known to do an Eddie Vedder impersonation playing Elderly Woman... in my dorm room in Van Meter.

DC said...

HAHAHA, too much info.

yeah, i got nothing but respect for Pearl Jam.

shadow of shathragot said...

I saw them in Hollywood on a bill with L7 and the Chili Peppers. I hadn't heard of them before the show, but was totally blown away. You could tell they'd be big. The bass tone on GO is the shit! Don't go on meeeeeeee!

Jim Turbert said...

I am down with Pearl Jam. I saw them with RHCP and Smashing Pumpkins way back in the day. I hadn't heard of them at that point, and I had only seen the video for the Pumpkins song "Siva" on 120 Minutes a handful of times at that point. I saw them live other times, too. They're a good band.