Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Hi, I'd like to take this space to so say a few things.

1) I think I have a problem. I'm going to take a cue from the slow listening article that Gabino posted a few days back. Since the dawn of 2009, I've come across (in one way or another) LOTS of albums. I have gotten intimate with maybe two of them, and I haven't listened to almost all of them. I vow to stop frequenting music blogs and sampling anything that looks interesting to me for a period of one month. I've removed all the music from my iphone, and I created a playlist consisting only of stuff that I got this year. Now i'm going to listen to all of it. Take that!
2) I was in the home goods store the other day with Marleen, and I heard a song that reminded me of Don's post about "Chopped and Screwed." The song didn't sound the same, but it had the same "what the fuck" factor. It was an Usher song with the lyrics "I want to make love in this club." I'm totally blown away that this guy has had such a long career. It's just bad. Shit is crazy. Sometimes I'm impressed by the production techniques of guys like this, but I cannot say that in this instance. Also, I don't believe that people make love in clubs. I think it's called something else. Am I off base here? Is there something I'm missing about the finer points of Usher?
3) I listened to "Atlantic Sisters of Soul" during a long Sunday breakfast last weekend. I found some of the orchestral production to be a bit much, but besides that, it was a swell listen.
4) I'm amazed at the number of records that Don buys.

I'll post about some music soon. For real.

Chopping and screwing my way to the top,
Jim

11 comments:

rootless said...

Mainstream hip-hop is garbage, truly.

And yeah, you get so much music that it is sometimes overwhelming, but I can't stop......

EJ said...

same thing with Lil Wayne. I still don't understand. I mean, I will own up to it if I am overlooking something he's doing that's brilliant. What's going on? Am I missing something really obvious? It sounds awful to me.

Gabino said...

That mainstream hip hop stuff is morbidly fascinating because not only do I think it is awful, to me it seems meticulously tweaked to be as awful as possible, you know what I mean?

Penn Gillette has a quote somewhere about how the generation ahead of you is destined to come up with some kind of music you will hate. I guess that has happened with lil wayne and the like because I just don't hear it, like some old man in the fifties not getting Bo Diddley. I mean I love golden age stuff but somewhere hip hop crossed a line and I didn't follow........

And oh yeah, way too much music......!

Big Steve said...

What's wrong with the people on this page?!?! Lil Wayne is the bomb music.

EJ said...

Yeah? Seriously?
Then tell me why (and without using the word "bomb").

Gabino said...

YEAH! TELL US WHY! (I'm standing behind EJ while I'm saying that)

Jim Turbert said...

big steve, i implore you to explain.

"meticulously tweaked to be as awful as possible"
you hit it on the head

Big Steve said...

Lil Wayne has the illest flow rapping, the best words and storys and hardest beats produce!!!! HE IS MOST REAL!!! You people don’t know raps!!!! Go back and listen to your independent rock musics!!!!!

I am kidding (almost)!!! I like your postings.

rootless said...

Is this for real or is Big Steve a DC alter-ego fucking with us all? Lil Wayne isn't even really that awful, he's just mediocre and unoriginal. And the whole weird culture surrounding him that is making him out to be some weird George Clinton/Prince-style genius is absurd, and people resent being spoon-fed such crap and being told it's "the bomb".

DC said...

hahaha, WTF? Steve, you have a unique perspective for the blog, my man.

Gabino said...

I wish I could get into illest flow rapping, the best words and storys and hardest beats produce, but the thought of him still makes me run for some Yo La Tengo and a nice cup of tea. I wonder what Big Steve thinks of Vampire Weekend?