Thursday, March 12, 2009

Jaga Jazzist's What We Must

This got some (qualified) props in Pitchfork's review of the New Lars Horntveth thing. It was probably my favorite album of 2005 and I'm wondering if any of you have checked it out. I take exception to the whole Smooth jazz/Kenny G thing in the review, it's the kind of easy dismissal made by someone who probably doesn't listen to a lot of jazz. It has some nice blissed/ verging on too pretty  out moments like Ulrich Schnauss might have (if anybody is smooth jazz these days...) but the instrumentation & craft of it all is fantastic and totally worth your time.

3 comments:

DC said...

This is one of those bands I really want to like... cool name, on Thrill Jockey (right?), friends who's taste I generally agree with are feeling them, they have a CD named after "The Search For Animal Chin" for god's sake... but every time I check them out I'm just not feeling it.

Gabino said...

I can actually kind of see how it wouldn't do it for you, DC. You can't like everything!

rootless said...

I'm listening to The Stix right now, good album, I like this band.