Monday, May 18, 2009

Dark Night of the Soul


For once, Monday can kiss my ass and crawl back into its dark, dank buzz-killing hole - my week is officially off to a great start.

Some of you may already be wise to this new project from Danger Mouse and Mark Linkous (Sparklehorse). (It's up on Radiobutt.) The album features interesting, varied production and musical textures from those two gents. Ice that cake with a great lineup featuring Jason Lytle (Grandaddy), James Mercer (Shins), Nina Persson (Cardigans), Vic Chesnutt, Gruff Rhys, Julian Casablancas (Strokes), Wayne Coyne (Flaming Lips), plus heavy, heavy hitters Frank Black and Iggy Pop. It's a peculiar enough mix to raise an eyebrow, but it works beautifully.

In case that's not enough, here's the other side of the story. The album is tied up in legal battles and may never be "officially" released. However, there are a couple versions available through the Dark Night of the Soul website - one being a 100+ page book (featuring David Lynch images) with - get this - a custom blank CD-R. The site says, "Due to an ongoing dispute with EMI, Danger Mouse is unable to include music on the CD without fear of legal entanglement. Therefore, he has included a blank CD-R as an artifact to use however you see fit." Brilliant.

Go get it while you can.



8 comments:

DC said...

ha. i saw an article abotu this online.

done and done. I'll check it on the train tomorow. The 100 page booklet with blank DVR is going to sell for $500 on eBay in a few months.

rootless said...

I heard about this too, but what up with the bad sound quality aspect? I'll check it out.

This blog is going to become a comment page for Radiobutt. I'm surprised that DC, in fact, hasn't posted about his fav band, Wilco, and their latest album.

T.J. said...

Honestly, I don't really get the thing about the sound quality. I mean, yeah, it's a 'lil dusty, but for the most part, it works.

DC said...

Sounds good to me...

Gabino said...

Sounds good to me too, maybe he's an uber-snob and is apologizing because the bit rate is only 160kbps.

DC said...

Sparklehorse = gayest band name. Ever.

Gabino said...

C-O-L-D-P-L-A-Y = G-A-Y-E-R
same for Wilco, you must really like those bands.

T.J. said...

Quite possibly true on the name, but I must say: "It's A Wonderful Life" is one of my all-timers.