Sunday, May 17, 2009

Sun Ra



I'm so overwhelmed by all the stuff out there that it almost makes posting it redundant... I'm sure a lot of you have already found this stuff or have found many other sites as well, but this one deserves a link.

Sun Ra discography (!!!!!!) I didn't count but just did quick estimation and think there are like 150-200 downloads, including the super duper rare, $200 on eBay joints that were put out on Italian label Horo in the 70's.

wow.

This one deserves a shout as well: 45 Herbie Hancock bootlegs.

dc

10 comments:

Gabino said...

Sheeeeheeeet! as we say in Indiana.....

EJ said...

RA: deepest cat out there in the cosmos??

DC said...

Sun Ra vs. Dr. Octagon... who wins? Dr. Octo. He has a space doo doo pistol.

Gabino said...

Would they really battle? I'd like to imagine it as more a Yoda/Luke dynamic......

Gabino said...

Actually, help me out with this. How many Sun Ra albums do I need? I have a few obvious ones:

-Space is the Place
-Singles
-Languidity
-Nuclear War
-Sleeping Beauty
-Cosmic Tones For Mental Therapy/Art Forms Of Dimensions Tomorrow
-Angels And Demons At Play/The Nubians Of Plutonia

I know I don't want all of them but would like a few more, Suggestions?

rootless said...

DC is the Sun Ran ninja, he can probably set you straight, but for my money it's Languidity and Jazz in Silhouette.

DC said...

Disco 3000 is really good. Just checking that out for the 1st time today.

Night of the Purple Moon is good.

Solo Piano is good.

But do you really need more than 5 or 6 Sun Ra joints?

blablazo said...

I only have The Heliocentric Worlds Of Sun Ra, Vol. I. It's a 180g reissue that came out 10+ years ago. Haven't listened to it, or really any Sun Ra, very much I'm ashamed to say.

Gabino said...

It's nice to check out a new one every once and awhile......

EJ said...

Supersonic Jazz is amazing.