Friday, June 19, 2009

Funk-o-phonix

The yee-haws in Etown were on my last nerve the other day, so I had to pull out a vintage soul/funk/r&b playlist to drown out the cowboy hats (not that I have a problem with cowboy hats, but if I hear one more lard-slathered slice of good ol' southern country common sense, I'm gonna let Jesus back in my life and then shoot myself).

What follows is said playlist . . . it violates my usual mix rule of one song per artist, and essentially is nothing more than an expansion of Tarantino's Jackie Brown soundtrack. By no means comprehensive or even particularly inclusive, it nonetheless got me through the day and back into my car at night, where I had a Kool Keith compilation waiting for me in the player & 40 miles of interstate to ride back up to the River City.

In Rotation - Soul Funk One

Shuggie Otis - "Inspiration Information"
Issac Hayes - "Shaft"
Billie Paul - "Me & Mrs. Jones"
Bill Withers - "Ain't No Sunshine"
The Isley Brothers - "That Lady" (Pt.s 1 & 2)
The Meters - "Cissy Strut"
The Delfonics - "Didn't I Blow Your Mind This Time"
James Brown - "Down and Out in New York City"
The Brothers Johnson - "Strawberry Letter #23"
Stevie Wonder - "Higher Ground"
The Brothers Johnson - "I'll Be Good to You"
The Meters - "Look-Ka Py Py"
Bill Withers - "Use Me"
Bobby Womack - "Across 110th Street"
The Brothers Johnson - "Get the Funk (Out of My Face)"
Bloodstone - "Natural High"
Minnie Ripperton - "Inside My Love"
Shuggie Otis - "Gospel Groove"
Bill Withers - "Lean on Me"
Bill Withers - "Who is He (and What is He to You)?"
The Brothers Johnson - "Stomp"
Stevie Wonder - "Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing"
Randy Crawford - "Street Life"
The Delfonics - "Going out of My Head"
The Meters - "Fire on the Bayou"
The Delfonics - "La La La Means I Love You"
The Isley Brothers - "Spill the Wine"
The Brothers Johnson - "The Real Thing"
The Gap Band - "Burn Rubber on Me (Why You Want to Hurt Me)"
Parliment - "Up for the Downstroke"
Stevie Wonder - "Living for the City"
Shuggie Otis - "Shuggie's Boogie"

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Gabino said...

Nice, dig the Bros Johnson, kind of Quicy's production warm up for Thriller. "I'll be good to you" is a fave..

Bill Zink said...

So Gabe: What's the best "Strawberry Letter #23" - Brothers Johnson or the Shuggie Otis original? I go back and forth all the time.

Gabino said...

I really like them both. I guess I'd go with Shuggie's if I had to choose, better 70's compression!