Saturday, June 27, 2009

Sonic Youth (DJ Shadow)

Listened to Washing Machine today, maybe my favorite Sonic Youth album? I really liked Rather Ripped, but going back to this was sweet. The last track, "Diamond Sea", incredible finish, the extensive outro is exactly what Sonic Youth do so well, skirt the line between cacophony and melody and make something weird and beautiful. I feel a Sonic Youth redux in my playlist coming on. What's your pick for best SY album?

Also going back to DJ Shadow, got Midnight in a Perfect World going right now. Got a train ride tomorrow and will definitely listen to some shadow------

3 comments:

Bill Zink said...

My five favorites in order:

1) Evol
2) Sister
3) Bad Moon Rising
4) Daydream Nation
5) Sonic Youth

I'm afraid I'm less impressed with Sonic Youth's melody than their noise. The last "proper" Sonic Youth album I own is "A Thousand Leaves", and the only album I listen to beyond these five and that one is "Goodbye 20th Century".

Gabino said...

I'd go with Sister, but Im honestly not the biggest fan.

blablazo said...

I saw Sonic Youth on their Washing Machine tour at the Electric Ballroom in Tempe, AZ - 11/13/1995. I loved that venue. I think they tore it down to build condos.

I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed the show. I'm a casual fan at best and don't have any Sonic Youth in my collection but I'll always remember them putting on a great show.