Wednesday, April 29, 2009

music blog hookups

DC basically just posted about it, but I think he's still waiting for me to drop something about it. Ya'll gotta check out these two music blogs where people are just posting albums for easy downloads.

Radiobutt
http://radiobutt.blogspot.com/
--This is a really good site for indie rock, post-rock/instrumental bands, and what EJ likes to say is indie chamber (I just call it classical and lump it in there; see Rachel's, Fifth's of Seven, etc.)

MyJazzWorld
http://myjazzworld.blogspot.com/
--This is the one DC has been fully geeked out over. First couple albums I got were cheezy and lame, but after I got a little more discerning I've gotten tons of killer albums. You could lose yourself in a blitz of downloading if you're into jazz on this one.

On the music piracy tip, do you think it's more ethical to download off MJW because most of the albums on there are old, reissues, sometimes recorded by people now deceased versus Radiobutt, which is new albums mostly by young bands? Meh, I just check out as much as I can and try to support bands I like when they come to NYC.

4 comments:

DC said...

I do think there is a moral difference between downloading only out of print records. It's spreading the wealth of these classic LPs to tons of people to enjoy the music these guys wanted out there in the first place.

In Radiobutt scenario, these young indie guys are counting on that cash to pay the bills here and now. Bah, i'm not militant, i download shit from radiobutt. But i see a distinction.

also, i'd formally like to say hahahahahaha re: "radiobutt".

T.J. said...

Thanks for this! I'll have to check out radiobutt.

I also had the same initial experience with myjazzworld. I did get the feeling, though, that I just needed to dig a little deeper. Good to know...

DC said...

there is so much deep shit on myjazzworld. go to the archives from 2007... there is all this funky rare as shit stuff.

Gabino said...

I've found it best to just search by label, MPS, CTI, Groove Merchant, or whatever stuff you know you have a affinity for, and then just kind of follow threads from there. IT'S FUCKING DEEP.